Does your heart skip a beat whenever you think of throwing away your nearly-new clothing, apparel, or furniture? If so, the best option is to sell them to consignment shops. If you’ve heard about this term for the first time, we have explained everything further and listed the best consignment shops online and near your location.
So, pack up your used clothes, furniture, or other things you want to sell because we are diving into the best consignment shops that will offer you good returns with quick payments.
Need Easy Extra $250/Month For Free?
InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get Free $5
What Is A Consignment Shop?
Consignment stores are specifically introduced to provide a platform for people willing to sell their used stuff they no longer need.
This stuff can be anything. The common things sold at consignment shops include clothes, furniture, shoes, sports goods, jewelry, electronics, and children’s toys. People also sell homemade items to local consignment stores.
Why Sell At Consignment Shops?
Consignment shops are an excellent way of earning money through the old stuff you no longer use. It can be anything from clothes and furniture to jewelry and toys.
So, what’s better than generating some extra cash from things instead of stuffing your wardrobe or throwing them away?
Consignment shops also save a lot of your time and money. You can visit your nearest consignment shop or sell online without any hassle. It saves your time in looking for customers who want to buy your stuff.
So, selling your items at consignment stores is a better choice if you have too much stuff. A single platform will help you sell it at reasonable prices without getting into a loss.
Here is a list of consignment stores you can use safely and get some side cash!
Related: Legit Online Surveys that Pay Great!
List Of Consignment Shops Near Me (Local Stores)
1. Plato’s Closet
Plato’s Closet is a reliable consignment shop with many local stores.
What they buy:
They usually buy and sell clothes. However, you can also sell your accessories at Plato’s Closet.
- You get upfront payment in the form of cash. This way, you don’t have to wait for customers to buy your clothes and get paid.
- They have several stores across the country.
- As a regular visitor, you can sign up for their rewards program and earn points and discounts.
- They accept clothes from several brands listed on their website.
- If your clothes don’t look nearly new and aren’t branded, they won’t accept them.
- Their targeted customers are people between the ages of 12 and 24. So, they might not be the right option for selling children’s clothes.
Plato’s Closet has hundreds of consignment shops located across the US and Canada.
Related: Here’s how to get paid advertising on your car!
2. Play It Again Sports
Play It Again Sports is a famous consignment store with friendly staff and the latest sports gear for their customers.
What they buy:
Play It Again Sports buys all kinds of sports gear and fitness equipment.
- You can sell any sports or fitness equipment, even if they are off the season.
- You have two options for selling: trade-in or cash.
- You get paid on the spot.
- While they sell items for 40% – 60% of the retail price, you get 30% – 50% commission from it.
- They prefer only branded items.
- The sports gear and fitness equipment should be in good condition.
With the headquarters in the US, Play It Again Sports has nearly 300 stores spread across North America.
3. Crossroads Trading
Ruling the resale industry for more than 27 years, Crossroads Trading is one of the best consignment shops in the US.
What they buy:
They buy both men’s and women’s items. The item can be shoes, clothes, handbags, watches, sunglasses, and much more.
- They have two options: sell in the store or sell through mail.
- For selling items in cash, you will earn 30% and 50% for the trade-in option.
- If you have some trendy and chic clothing for the season, they would love to buy it.
- You get paid on the spot in the form of cash.
- They only buy designer clothes and accessories.
- The processing time for the mail-in service is around a week or two.
Crossroads Trading has 34 stores across the US. Most of their stores are located in California.
Related: Make hundreds of $$ each month with these mystery shopping companies!
4. Beacon’s Closet
Beacon’s Closet is one of the most popular local consignment stores.
What they buy:
They usually buy men’s and women’s clothing. They do not accept jewelry or children’s clothes.
- You can sell your items by visiting the store or by mail.
- In stores, you get upfront payment. By selling through the mail, you’ll receive the money as soon as they get your clothes.
- Beacon’s Closet pays the highest commission than any other consignment store, 35% in cash or 55% trade-in.
- You can sell any clothing, regardless of the brand.
- You must be above 18 years to sell at Beacon’s Closet.
- You cannot bring more than four large bags of clothes for selling.
Beacon’s Closet only has four stores, all of which are located in New York City.
List Of Consignment Shops Online
Mercari is a popular online consignment store with many buyers and sellers.
How it works:
Mercari works by signing up and filling in the information required. Your profile will display your information and tell whether you are a trusted seller.
Then, you’ll have to create a listing about the product you want to sell. You are free to select your shipping preferences and whether you’ll pay for the delivery or put the charges on the buyer.
Then, you can save the listing, and after selecting the price, you are ready to sell your product.
- Mercari will keep only a 10% commission from the actual sale price.
- Mercari also shows a scale and tells you what price you should set for your product.
- You can either pay the delivery charges yourself or put the expenses on the buyer.
- You’ll have to take the packed item to a shipping center yourself.
- With the ‘’Smart Pricing’’ feature, Mercari may lower the price of your item itself.
Related: Places that hire 14 and 15 year olds!
ThredUP is one of the best online resale platforms, which sells all kinds of women’s and kid’s items.
How it works
The program works by signing up and creating an account. For selling your items, you’ll request a clean-out kit from ThredUP. The company pays for the clean-out bag.
The app also gives layout percentages, depending on the price of the item. For example, the payout for $5-$20 items is 5%-15%. Similarly, you’ll get an 80% payout on items above $200.
When the bag arrives, you fill your used clothes in it and send them to ThredUP. Although the company prices the items itself, you can also change the price to increase your profit.
- ThredUP sends a clean-out kit to the sellers without putting any charges on them.
- The unaccepted or unsold items are recycled or sent back to you.
- You can adjust the price of your product as well.
- You can also get your clothes back in case you change your mind.
- They only welcome popular brands.
- ThredUP only accepts 40% of the items you send to sell.
Poshmark is one of the best consignment shops that resell used clothes, especially luxury fashion wear.
How it works:
After downloading the app, you are ready to sell your used clothes.
Poshmark requires its sellers to manage everything themselves. You take pictures of the clothes by using the app, add a description, and choose the price of the product.
When you get a buyer, Poshmark will send a shipping label to you via email. You’ll have to pack the clothes and ship them through your nearby shipping center.
Poshmark also takes a fee for items that sell on the app. For every item that crosses $15, the fee charged will be 20% of the item’s selling price.
- You can sell women’s, men’s and children’s clothes on Poshmark.
- The company also offers pickup for items to ship in some areas.
- Poshmark has no charges for the listing and shipping labels.
- If your package doesn’t reach the buyer within 7 days, you get your item back instead of making it go wasted.
- If the buyer doesn’t like the item after three days of getting it, you’ll have to issue a refund and get your item back.
- Poshmark has a higher commission.
eBay is the biggest online platform for selling any used item.
How it works:
After getting yourself registered on eBay, the next step is to create a listing. The process is quite simple as you only have to take nice pictures of your gently-used items. Then, add an attractive description and price it accordingly.
You will also have to choose between fixed-price selling and auction-style selling. When you get potential buyers, send the product and earn cash!
- You can sell anything on eBay, regardless of the brand!
- eBay will charge only a 10% commission from the final selling price of your product.
- eBay offers both fixed-price selling and auction-style selling. The auction listing is a better choice for generating profits.
- eBay has many sellers. You might have to lower the price of your product to sell it quickly.
If you found this article helpful don’t forget to share it on your favorite socials!
Selling your used items to consignment shops is an excellent way of getting rid of old clothes and making money in return. As so many people are looking for affordable clothes to wear, yours might be their source of happiness!
If you don’t feel comfortable selling online, our list of the local consignment stores will help you.